Call of the Wilde: Canadiens blank Sabres 2-0
Carey Price didn't do much, but he did save the game when Cody Hodgson undressed Mike Weaver in the third. The Habs won 2-0 at home against the Buffalo Sabres Tuesday, March 25. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
Brian Wilde, CTV Montreal
Published Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:33PM EDT
- Pacioretty with his 32nd of the season and 100th of his career because 100 is a nice number and man- oh-man did this game need a goal.
- Plekanec with Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Didn't like this originally. I didn't think this line had a role. What are the kids doing with a defensive specialist? Are the kids defensive too? Or are they offensive? Well, who cares if they're in front of the opposition's net all the time. Good line so far.
- Carey Price who didn't have to do much, but what he did do was save the game when Cody Hodgson undressed Weaver shorthanded. Right after Briere ended it.
- The fourth line was the freshest after two thirds not playing in Boston the night before. White, Eller, Bournival did good things.
- Now to the Broken Record Play of the Night: Midway through the first, Rene Bourque has a chance to go on goal with a partial breakaway and flat out bails and turns back allowing the defenceman to neutralize the play. GO TO THE GOAL, MAN!!!
- The Habs had a four-minute power play in the second period. They did not get a shot. Still a work in progress.
- Two points. At the end of the day this was a dog but it was two points. The Habs had tired legs and it was a game of attrition. Good teams find a way when it doesn't feel good or right. They put another two on the board. Rack 'em.
- Impressive roster depth when you have Prust, Weise, and Moen injured and your fourth line is still Eller-White-Bournival. Good job by Bergevin to know any playoff run works its way down the depth chart in a hurry usually.
- You must take a trip down memory lane when the Habs were struggling after their west coast swing to note that the Ottawa miracle comeback has produced a swing of six wins in seven games. That comeback might have been the most important five minutes of the season.
- Martin Reway has two goals and seven assists in three playoff games in the Q. Mike McCarron has two goals one assist in three games for London. Charles Hudon has two goals and two assists in three playoff games as well.