A hearty recipe from the Soup Sisters
Published Sunday, March 24, 2013 7:26PM EDT
MONTREAL—The Soup Sisters are a non-profit getting together to make soup for women and children in shelters.
Here’s one of their recipes:
RUTABAGA, RED LENTILS AND MAPLE SOUP
Recipe by Anne Desjardins
Ingredients (for 6 portions of 250 ml)
- 600 g rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 350 ml red lentils
- 250 g onion, chopped
- 50 g garlic, peeled
- 60 g ginger, peeled and cut
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 5 litres chicken stock
- 20 ml + 6 tbsp 35% cream
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 45 ml maple syrup (to taste)
- Salt, drops of angostura and Tabasco (to taste)
- Chives, chopped
- Pour a small amount of oil in a large stock pot, and sweat all the vegetables together with the garlic, ginger and turmeric.
- Add lentils and maple syrup, and deglaze with cider vinegar.
- Cook until rutabaga and lentils are cooked.
- Blend into a smooth puree.
- Return to the pot, add cream.
- Adjust the consistency by adding water if necessary.
- Taste and season: salt, drop of angostura and Tabasco.
- Pour soup in hot bowls. Garnish with fresh cream and chopped chives.