Protesters seek public inquiry into construction industry
Protesters calling for massive change in the way Quebec's construction industry is run gathered near the Olympic Stadium Saturday to demand Premier Jean Charest call a public inquiry.
"We're trying to do a cleanup. That's why there's a broom here, to what's going on in the construction (industry), all the collusion that's going on," said protester Guy Berniquez.
Despite limited success in the first protests, which took place two weeks ago in Montreal, Quebec City and Sherbrooke, the September 24th Movement, as it was known, renewed its initiative Saturday by urging people through social networking to demonstrate against alleged corruption and collusion.
About 75 people joined in the protest.
Calls for an inquiry into possible corruption in Quebec's construction industry are mounting, not only from concerned citizens.
Last week, Jacques Duchesneau, the head of Quebec's anti-collusion squad, said an inquiry is urgent.
And after repeatedly refusing one, this week Charest said he wouldn't rule it out.
Some protesters Saturday, like event organizer Genevieve Dick, said while it is progress, it's not progress enough.
"Well he may (call a public inquiry), right? It's a nice statement, but will he?" she said. "So we have to continue insisting."
Organizers say they are spearheading a movement that is non-violent, non-partisan and is calling for change at the highest levels, and will continue to protest not only about the public inquiry but other issues they see as a disconnect between politicians and the public.
"These people have been elected to take care of our resources, and we want these resources to be invested properly," said Marie-Helene Bonin.
Rallies are also planned for Oct. 15 and Nov. 5.