Warrant issued for imam who called for killing of Jews
Published Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:20PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, July 17, 2017 8:37PM EDT
A warrant has been issued for a Jordanian imam who was captured on video calling Jews “the most evil of mankind” in a Montreal mosque in December.
In a statement, B’Nai Brith said the warrant was issued for Imam Sheikh Muhammad ibn Musa Al Nasr by a Quebec judge following an investigation by the SPVM Hate Crimes Unit.
Quebec’s Crown prosecutor confirmed on Monday that the warrant had been issued.
In the taped sermon, which was delivered in the Dar al-Arkam Mosque on Jean Talon St. on Dec. 23, Nasr called for the killing of Jews. B’Nai Brith filed a complaint with the SPVM after the video surfaced in March.
According to B'Nai Brith, Nasr is charged with willful promotion of hatred.
Video of the speech, which was delivered in Arabic, remains on the mosque’s YouTube page.
"Today, the Jewish community of Montreal can sleep safer, knowing that there is a price to pay for inciting violence against our community," said Michael Mostyn, Chief Executive Officer of B'nai Brith Canada. "B'nai Brith deeply appreciates the diligent work of the newly-formed Hate Crimes Unit of the Montreal Police Service and Quebec prosecutors on this file.”
The Montreal police hate crimes unit investigated the sermon before the Crown authorized a charge against the cleric of wilful promotion of hatred.
B'nai Brith Canada told The Canadian Press they hope federal authorities will do what they can to have the cleric returned to Canada to stand trial. His whereabouts are unknown.
The organization said attempts to contact the mosque to have the video removed or to elicit an apology haven't been fruitful.
A call to the mosque by The Canadian Press was not immediately returned Monday.
With a report from The Canadian Press