A fire ravaged a home late at night on Dec. 25 in Mont-Saint-Gregoire, in Monteregie.

The home was situated beside a small commercial building, located in the centre of the town of approximately 3,000 inhabitants.

Two families were affected by the blaze, which has left seven people homeless.

One person suffered from exposure to smoke.

Firefighters from Mont-Saint-Gregoire obtained help from colleagues in neighbouring municipalities to fight the flames.

The building has been completely lost, according to firefighters.

The blaze appears to have been of accidental origin, and arisen in one of the rooms in the house.