Expansion joint on Champlain Bridge breaks
Published Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:21AM EST
One lane on the Champlain Bridge was abruptly closed Thursday morning because of a crack in an expansion joint.
The bridge corporation closed the South Shore-bound lane at 8 a.m. when the hole was discovered, and during the day on Thursday will cover the hole with a heavy steel plate.
At some point this weekend the expansion joint will be repaired.
Spokespeople for the bridge say this type of damage happens almost a dozen times a year, and is the result of freezing and thawing.
LIVE on CTVNews.ca
- 9:30 a.m. ET: Minister of State (Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario) Gary Goodyear to announce funding for Toyota
- 10:30 a.m. ET: The Liberal Party of Canada holds a press conference on the costs of an early election
- 10:30 a.m. ET: Toronto Police provide an update an aggravated assault of a 17-year-old
- 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT: Report into the fuel Marathassa fuel spill to be released
- 4:30 p.m. ET: Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau speaks in Montreal
- Aug. 6: Memorial ceremony marks the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima
- Aug. 9: Memorial ceremony marks the 70th anniversary of the Nagasaki bombing
- Aug. 23: 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina