What's Open and Closed on New Year's and beyond
What's open and closed for the holidays
A selection of what businesses and services will be open or closed over the New Year's holiday.
• Post offices will be closed Jan. 1 and mail will not be collected or delivered. Privately operated postal outlets might have different hours; check directly with the outlet.
• Banks will be closed on Jan. 1.
• Most city offices will be closed from Dec. 24 until Jan. 5, inclusive. This includes all borough and Accès Montréal offices. Laval and Longueuil will have the same schedule. Those seeking information are encouraged to consult the respective websites or dial 311.
• Shopping malls will be closed New Year's Day.
Ahuntsic-Cartierville will have garbage pick ups on January 1 except for the Sault au Recollet area, where it returns Jan. 2. Lachine, Sud-Ouest, Montreal Nord, Outremont, Riviere des Priaires, St. Laurent, Verdun, Villeray/St. Michel/Park Extention will have garbage pickups resume January 2. Cote des Neiges/NDG, Lachine, LaSalle, Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve, Pointe aux Trembles, will have garbage pickups on Jan. 3. Ville Marie will resume garbage pickups January 5.
Christmas tree pickups
• Most areas of Montreal will have their trees picked up between 7 and 14 January with the following exceptions: Lachine 2-18 January, LaSalle 12-19 January, Ile-Bizard/Ste. Genevieve daily throughout January, Mercier/Hochelaga/Maisonneuve, Rosemont/Petite Patrie, Villeray/St. Michel/Park Extention and Ville Marie, 7, 14 and 21 January. Outremont 12 January, St. Laurent 5-23 January depending on the area (consult website for details), St. Leonard 5 and 12 January, Verdun daily until the end of January.
• Residents are asked to remove all decorations from the tree and put it out before 7 a.m. The trees must be removed if snow clearing operations are undergoing.
• Most supermarkets will be closed Jan. 1.
• Société des alcools du Québec liquor outlets will closed on Jan. 1.
• Federal and provincial government offices in Quebec will be closed Jan. 1.
• Ecocentres are closed until Jan 5, inclusive.
• Montreal Municipal Court (775 Gosford St.) is closed from Dec. 24 until Jan. 5.
• Montreal arenas, swimming pools, sports centres, libraries and cultural venues will operate according to holiday schedules set by the boroughs. For information, visit ville.montreal.qc.ca or call 311 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
• Société de transport de Montréal: Bus lines will operate on a modified holiday schedule. Consult schedules at stm.info or call 514-288-6287.
• Société de transport de Laval: Buses will run on a modified Sunday schedule. More info on the STL’s website, stl.laval.qc.ca
• Agence métropolitaine de Transport will operate on a reduced schedule over the holidays. Check the AMT’s website for more information or call 1 888-702-8726.
• Parking meters remain in operation. All restrictions must be obeyed.
• Swimming pools, arenas and cultural centres will follow a variety of schedules, consult local boroughs or check for schedules on the internet.