MONTREAL—Troy Elva's mother is still in a state of shock.

Her 27-year-old son, nicknamed Nickey, died suddenly on Sunday. She says her son was generally fit and healthy, but started having problems about three months ago.

“Up to now, I just can't believe this is happening,” said Angela Elva. “His cholesterol was high and low, high and low, but he was taking medication.”

The real drama began at the Catalogna Soccerplex in Lachine when he was out on the field with friends.

“He scored a big goal and right after he scored, everyone was talking and he started to walk and he just collapsed,” said Troy’s friend, Clarck Cadet.

His friends called 911 and started performing CPR while waiting for the ambulance. Cadet said the ambulance took 15 to 17 minutes arrive, and when the paramedics came, they had to run back outside to get paddles for the defibrillator. Once they got Troy onto a stretcher and into the ambulance, his friends followed behind in their cars, rushing to the nearby Lachine General Hospital.

“Maybe about a block away the ambulance pulls over. The driver gets out, walks to the vehicle I was driving and says, ‘You're not the ambulance. Stop driving recklessly.’ I was in shock and I didn't know what to say,” said Cadet.

Troy’s friend thought that it was a loss of valuable time.

“If they could have been there four, five, six minutes earlier, it could have made a difference. It could have made a huge difference. And also them pulling over for no reason, it just seems so unprofessional,” said Cadet.

The family is also upset because they say the doctor decided to stop resuscitation efforts without consulting them. Urgences Sante says it's investigating the incident.

"Doctors make medical decisions based on the specific patient case, and they consult with family members and friends when possible and when appropriate," the MUHC said in a statement.

Meanwhile, family and friends are remembering Troy as a talented barber who always went the extra mile for his clients.

Cadet decided to pay a special tribute to his friend.

“He was my right hand man, so I gave him my right arm,” said Cadet, showing a new tattoo. “My whole right arm is for him. And every day I'm going to live my life and I'm going to appreciate my friends more.”

Troy will be buried in St. Lucia where he was born. Before his body leaves, the hearse will pass by the barbershop that was his second home, one final time.