MONTREAL - A 60-year-old man suffered second degree burns and smoke inhalation during a fire at a 68-unit building at 1270 Quenneville Sunday evening in St. Laurent.

The fire, which broke out at about 6:23 p.m and was brought under control at 7:40 p.m., left three units uninhabitable and four residents were given emergency accommodations by the Red Cross.

Two other residents suffered minor injuries. One man injured a hand while trying to help his father and another woman was transported to hospital with an injury to her foot.

About 60 firefighters rushed to the scene in 20 trucks and their work required cutting a 16 foot by 16 foot hole in the roof.

The building suffered about $70,000 in damage, according to a Montreal fire department spokesperson.

The fire appeared to have started in one apartment and spread to a neighboring unit but the cause of the fire was not immediately determined.

The smoke detectors appeared to be functioning normally.