Randy’s favourite chili for the Super Bowl
Randy Tieman's chili doesn't look this great. (AP Photo/Matthew Mead)
Published Saturday, February 2, 2013 3:20PM EST
Last Updated Sunday, February 3, 2013 4:32PM EST
MONTREAL—As much as it is a time of football and mind-bending commercials, the Super Bowl is also a time to share culinary delights with friends. In that spirit, CTV Sports’ Randy Tieman is sharing his favourite chili recipe in time for the Super Bowl.
- 4lbs lean ground beef
- 2cups chopped onion
- 1cup chopped green pepper
- 5cloves garlic, minced
- 1 19ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 ½ ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 24 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 5tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- In a large sauce pan cook ground beef, onions, sweet pepper, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender; drain fat. Stir in kidney beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, and a quarter tsp black pepper. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Place in slow cooker to keep warm on low setting for up to 5 hours.
- If you want to make it with a little bit more bite just add more hot sauce. This recipe is not that hot.