A police operation in Pierrefonds-Roxboro ended peacefully Tuesday afternoon.

Montreal police evacuated the Sunnybrooke train station and several nearby houses in the West Island Tuesday morning because of a bomb threat inside a home.

Six hours after the evacuations began, the Montreal police department said the threat was unfounded and lifted its evacuation order. 

Police said they searched one home on Laurin St. as part of their investigation, and questioned one man and his mother after reports of a man making a video holding an explosive device.

They say a post to social media involving possible explosives appeared threatening.

“The person that was apprehended, he's 20 years old. We believe he was with his mother. Both are being questioned at the moment,” said Ian Lafreniere of the Montreal police.


No explosives were found inside the home.

The AMT said it was ordered to evacuate the train station at 8:40 a.m. and it stopped train service on the Deux-Montagnes line as a precaution. The AMT resumed service shortly after noon.

The train station is at 9670 Gouin Blvd., on the border of Pierrefonds-Roxboro and Dollard des Ormeaux.

Police evacuated dozens of homes and buildings in the area after the train station was closed. About 200 people were forced out. 

“He said that there's someone with explosives in the area and they want us to evacuate the house,” said resident Joyce Robertson.

One man told CTV Montreal that police pounded on his door and ordered everyone in his house to leave. He added that police took their cell phone numbers and said they would be called when it was safe to return home.

The STM sent buses to the area to shelter the 200 people who were forced out of their homes.  

Police say the operation was significant.

“This is the kind of investigation we conduct with partners such as the SQ and the RCMP,” said Lafreniere. “Because it's that serious.”

Pierrefonds/Roxboro Mayor Dimitrios Beis said the operation was unsettling, but it’s better to be safe.

“Certainly it is concerning that it happened so close to home, whatever it may be. Just the fact that we've been evacuating people from their home is concerning enough,” he said.

While the police operation is complete, police say their investigation is far from over. They said they want to know more about the video, its intention and who the two people are.

Possible charges will be laid.