Newsmaker: Professor Hope Weiler is studying childhood obesity
Published Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:11AM EDT
How do we know when a child is overweight, and what should we be doing about it?
A study by Professor Hope Weiler of McGill University aims to improve the health of overweight children and teach them how to be healthy.
When it comes to knowing if their children are overweight, "what I would suggest for parents if they're wondering... is probably they are in fact," said Weiler.
She and her group are seeking to prevent overweight children from growing into overweight adults, however she is not putting children on a diet.
"Being active, growing strong muscles and strong bones would be a really big asset for children today,"said Weiler.
The study has been underway for a year, and those interested in taking part in the study can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Professor Hope Weiler of McGill's school of Dietitics and Human Nutrition (March 28, 2012)
LIVE on CTVNews.ca
- 12:30 p.m. ET: Prime Minister Stephen Harper makes an announcement related to proposed anti-terror legislation
- 12:30 p.m. ET: P.E.I. Premier Robert Ghiz speaks at premiers' meeting in Ottawa
- 10:45 a.m. PT: B.C. Energy and Mines Minister Bill Bennett reacts to report on cause of Mount Polley tailing pond breach
- 3:00 p.m. ET: Canada's premiers hold a closing press conference after their winter meeting in Ottawa
- May 2015: Ontario PC leadership convention