'We lost everything': Quebec jeweller reports theft of over $1 million in overnight break-and-enter
Owners of a Montreal-area jewelry store say they’ve been robbed of 40 years of hard work after two suspected thieves made off with gold, precious stones and jewelry from their safes.
Owners of family-run Kirkland jewelry store Bijouterie Futuriste released what appears to be security footage of the act, which allegedly occurred at around 2:30 a.m. last Monday.
In the video, one of two hooded men appear to be tampering with electronics. “Look, there’s a camera there,” one can be heard saying, before placing his hand over the lens.
Mona Safadi, whose husband owns the shop, says the men cut the shop’s internet access and disabled all the cameras before making off with the goods.
She said her family first received word of the alleged break-in from the owners of a neighbouring laundromat, which the suspected thieves broke into in order to access to the jewelry store.
“She was in a big panic,” said Safadi. “They had broken through her walls to get to our store.”
Safadi says the men seemed to know what they were doing. After entering the laundromat, she says, they cut through a shared wall to get access to the shop.
“They actually cut several holes,” said Safadi. “They were looking for the right spot to enter, where they would have less interference from all of the lasers and alarm panels that we have set up.”
“They cut through the steel, they busted all the cement,” said store owner Rami Safadi.
“They hit our main safe, they hit four safes of ours, and we lost everything,” he added. “We’re talking over $1 million.”
The suspected thieves took diamonds, gold coins and necklaces, several kinds of gemstones, engagement rings, among other items. This also included pieces that customers had brought in to be repaired, Mona Safadi told CTV.
“It’s heartbreaking. We don’t have a retirement fund. Everything that we worked for is all here,” said the owner. “For anybody who owns a business, they know how it works. You take all your money, hard work and earnings, and put it all in the business.”
Montreal police say they received a call on the morning of Nov. 30 reporting the alleged crime.
A spokesperson for the SPVM told CTV that investigators are reviewing security footage from that night. They have made no arrests and are still trying to identify suspects.
‘A HORRIBLE NIGHTMARE’
Safadi says most of the merchandise was not covered for theft, citing high insurance costs. He said their family had instead put their trust in the security system.
It would cost them and additional $70,000 per $1,000,000 of merchandise to insure the goods, Safadi says, which would force them to mark up their prices considerably.
“How can you work with so many payments per month?” he said. “I can’t pass that on to the customer.”
It’s a similar story for many jewellers in Montreal, according to Eduardo Nunes, the owner of Bijouterie Rosas on St-Laurent Boulevard. He says he’ll never recoup his losses after thieves lifted two high-security safes from his shop.
A large hole was left after Montreal's Bijouterie Rosas was the scene of a robbery which saw over a million dollars of jewelry and precious metals stolen on March 26, 2020 (Image courtesy of Andrew Nunes)
The alleged incident occurred on March 24, 2020, said Nunes – the same night Quebec mandated the closure of non-essential businesses over COVID-19 concerns. Nunes says it left his shop vulnerable.
That night, he says he was nervous to go to sleep, and last checked his security cameras at 1 a.m. The next morning, at around 7:30 a.m., he checked them again.
“One of the cameras was blocked.”
When he arrived at the shop, he says he found his wall had been cut open. His says his shop was turned upside down, and two safes were gone, each weighing 1.5 tonnes and containing over a million dollars worth of precious metals, jewels, and other merchandise.
“Throughout the years, I had filled up my inventory and gold for my retirement,” he said. “At the end of the game, I have nothing. I'm back to square one. I have more debts than I had when I started 40 years ago.”
“It's like a horrible nightmare,” Nunes told CTV News. “I’ve lived this nightmare every day for almost two years. So when Mona called me and told me their situation, I was horrified.”
'OPEN FOR BUSINESS WITH BROKEN HEARTS'
Despite the reported damages and losses, Bijouterie Futuriste remains open for business.
“They never closed,” Mona Sadafi said. “They have the community to serve, [as well as] their clients who love them so much.”
“They're open for business with broken hearts.”
The family says they're offering a generous reward to anyone who returns their stolen jewelry. They can be reached via Rami@futuriste.ca.
-- With reporting from CTV News' Matt Grillo
Montreal Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
As the May long weekend kicked off, a massive thunderstorm in southern Ontario and Quebec brought strong wind gusts that knocked down trees, took out power and left at least four people dead.
The federal government is reporting a sharp rise in influenza in recent months, at a time of the year when detected cases generally start to fall in Canada.
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney says he will not be running in the race to pick a new leader of the United Conservative party.
The United Kingdom's former prime minister Tony Blair says Russian President Vladimir Putin's decision to invade Ukraine is an 'act of madness.' In an interview on CTV's Question Period airing Sunday, Blair said Putin doesn't appear to be the same man he knew in the early 2000s.
Roberta Drury, a 32-year-old woman who was the youngest of the 10 Black people killed at a Buffalo supermarket, was remembered at her funeral Saturday for her love for family and friends, tenacity 'and most of all, that smile that could light up a room.'
Why does smoke seem to follow you around a campfire? B.C. research scientist Kerry Anderson told CTVNews.ca the answer actually boils down to physics.
Some drivers in Toronto may be feeling on edge as Toronto is dealing with a rash of violent carjackings targeting mostly high-end vehicles.
The nightmares started last May, said Harvey McLeod, chief of the Upper Nicola Indian Band and a survivor of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School.
Three people are dead and more than 350,000 are without power after an intense thunderstorm pummeled southern Ontario Saturday afternoon.
Marineland has banned a number of people from its premises, some of whom have never visited the Niagara Falls, Ont., tourist attraction, days before the facility was set to open for the season.
A section of Dartmouth's Burnside Industrial Park was shut down Friday after a fire in a scrapyard triggered alerts and air quality warnings.
Environment Canada is advising New Brunswickers in Edmundston and Madawaska County are to watch for the development of severe thunderstorms Saturday evening.
A few dozen friends, family members, and strangers gathered in Spryfield, N.S., on Saturday to search for a teenager who disappeared three months ago.
A short but powerful thunderstorm that came through Southwestern Ontario Saturday, killing at least one person and injuring others.
It was definitely a night to remember for people in attendance at Labatt Park on Friday evening after a reported gas leak forced the evacuation of the park during the season opener.
The flames were so intense from Thursday’s early morning fire in Hanover that Lisa Schnittker started grabbing her things to evacuate, fearing the flames would spread to her home.
As part of this week’s royal tour, a northern Ontario MP reflects on meeting Prince Charles.
It has been two years since the Northern Ontario Railroad Museum and Heritage Centre in Capreol has been able to put on the Family Fun Big Truck showcase.
Over the next couple of weeks, a telephone survey will be conducted on behalf of the PHU as a follow-up to a survey that was conducted two years ago.
'Won’t open them until we win': Flames fan hopes to pop Champagne bottles meant for '04 Stanley Cup run
It was almost exactly 18 years ago when Calgary Flames fan Shane Byciuk managed to sneak two bottles of Champagne into the Saddledome for Game 6 of the 2004 Stanley Cup finals.
A frost advisory was issued for most of central and southern Alberta by Environment Canada Saturday afternoon.
Ontario Provincial Police are investigating a death in Brant County after a tree fell on a camping trailer on Saturday.
A severe thunderstorm caused extensive damage, fallen trees, downed hydro lines and power outages across Southern Ontario on Saturday.
It’s the first May long weekend since the City of Waterloo made changes to its fireworks bylaw and city staff said some residents are not obeying the new rules.
Firefighters are investigating the cause of a dangerous fire that briefly trapped a Vancouver-area man inside a Tesla.
A social media post is warning young women in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood to be on high alert, after several have come forward claiming they’ve been followed.
Some British Columbians won’t be getting provincial rebates meant to offset soaring gas prices until the end of July, according to ICBC.
Family members remember one of the men killed in Chinatown this week as a kind and hardworking man, and hope that his needless death will lead to change.
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney says he will not be running in the race to pick a new leader of his United Conservative party.
The Calgary Flames know the recipe they want to follow in their Western Conference second-round playoff series with the Edmonton Oilers.
Every day since the owner of Thanasi's Olympus Greek Restaurant in Windsor, Ont. announced he would be retiring, Nick Pontikis says the place has been packed like it would be on New Year's Eve.
On Friday, the International Union of Operating Engineers ratified a new three-year contract, ending the strike that started in late April.
Bagpipes blared and kilts were worn at Victoria Park in Regina on Saturday for the Highland Gathering and Celtic Festival.
With the construction season in Saskatchewan getting underway; the provincial government laid out its plans to improve approximately 1,100 km of provincial highways in 2022.
Two people are dead and at least two others are critically injured after a powerful thunderstorm ripped through Ottawa Saturday afternoon.
The city of Clarence-Rockland, to the east of Ottawa, has declared a state of emergency following a major storm that moved across eastern Ontario on Saturday.
OC Transpo says the O-Train Line 1 will be replaced by R1 bus service until further notice between Blair and Tunney’s Pasture stations.
Chief Thunderstick National Hockey Championship in Saskatoon gathers dozens of Indigenous teams from across Canada
From Rankin Inlet, Nunavut to Ochapawace, Saskatchewan, Indigenous hockey teams from all over Canada are in Saskatoon this weekend playing in the Fred Sasakamoose "Chief Thunderstick" National Hockey Championship.