Bonaventure access to Ville Marie closed until November
Published Monday, March 14, 2016 7:07AM EDT
Last Updated Monday, March 14, 2016 9:14PM EDT
Two entrances to the Ville Marie Expressway are now closed until November.
The onramp from the Bonaventure Expressway, as well as the Duke St. entrance to the eastbound Ville Marie, are now off-limits.
City officials say as disruptive as the work has been in recent years, it will all be worth it.
"This is the last year, and this is the last mile," said Aref Salem, the transportation co-ordinator of Montreal's Executive Committee.
The work being done is part of the plan to lower the Bonaventure.
The ongoing construction also requires the closure of Duke St. between William St. and St. Jacques Blvd. while only two lanes will be open between Wellington St. and William St.
One lane of southbound traffic will be reserved for buses only: no taxis, car-pools, or any other vehicles allowed.
"I really sympathize, but I promise you this is the last year. The city will be amazing next year. Next year we've put in place a plan, We have 200,000 square feet in between the two streets and it's going to be really an amazing place," said Salem.
The $142 million project to lower the highway and create an urban boulevard complete with greenspace started several years ago, but even though the project has been well-publicized, many drivers stuck in traffic were clueless.
"I have no idea what's going on," said commuter Jason Masso. "It's redundant, it's ridiculous. We're just waiting in traffic all day. It's bad, it's terrible."
Later this week work is scheduled to begin on Highway 15 near the Atwater St. exit, and next month construction crews begin demolishing ramps leading through the Turcot Interchange.