Habs trade Weise, Fleischmann to Chicago for Phillip Danault
Published Friday, February 26, 2016 10:02PM EST
Last Updated Saturday, February 27, 2016 11:31AM EST
Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann are no longer Montreal Canadiens.
The two forwards were sent to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for Phillip Danault and a second-round draft pick in 2018.
“Phillip Danault is a young and gifted player who will be part of our core group of young forwards for many years to come. I am very pleased to have him join our organization,” Habs GM Marc Bergevin.
A native of Victoriaville, Que., Danault was the Blackhawks’ second pick in the first round, 26th overall, of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
The centreman has appeared in 32 games with the Blackhawks, including 30 this season, and has recorded five points (one goal, four assists) and six penalty minutes while playing 12:38 per game on average.
Bergevin, who worked his way up to assistant general manager within the Blackhawks organization before coming to Montreal, said in the release he was personally pleased to welcome Danault to Montreal.
“As a member of the Blackhawks management group, I was instrumental in the selection of Phillip in the first round of the 2011 NHL Draft,” he said.
Weise and Daneault are both 3rd liners. & Weise was UFA. Daneault is younger & cheaper. U get a 2nd for Fleischmann who came over on a PTO..— Tony Marinaro (@TonyMarinaro) February 27, 2016
Speculation had been rampant that Weise's, and to a lesser extent Fleischmann's days were numbered with the Habs organization. Both were eligible to become unrestricted free agents on July 1.
Earlier Friday at practice, both players expressed their desire to stay in Montreal.
“I’m not hiding anything, no surprises – I want to be a Montreal Canadien. It’s been a dream come true to play here, this is where I want to be,” Weise said at practice Friday.
Fleischmann said he believes the Habs still have a chance to make the playoffs.
“I think this team is good. We had bad injuries in the season. I'm happy to be here, I don't want to change anything,” he said.
TSN's Bob McKenzie reported Montreal will retain 30 per cent of Weise's salary.
The Habs also recalled forward Michael McCarron and defenceman Morgan Ellis from the St. John's IceCaps Friday night.