An armed standoff in Montreal Tuesday morning has resulted in the arrests of two suspects.

The incident began around 10:00 a.m. when a Pharmaprix on Sherbrooke St. near Hogan St. was robbed by two men, believed to be in their forties.

At least one of the suspects was holding a gun, say police. They weren’t demanding money, but rather drugs from the pharmacy. Police say they asked for methadone, a substitute for heroin.

“I heard scream, then noticed police were coming from everywhere,” said neighbour Josianne Ruet, who heard the commotion.

“Police which were around the corner saw a potential suspect started to run after him and the suspect get away in a building,” said Montreal police spokesperson Simon Delorme.

Officers chased the suspects into an apartment less than 100 metres away from the drug store, on Hogan St., south of Sherbrooke.

The building was then surrounded by police, and because suspects were armed, an armoured police truck was deployed to the scene.

A tactical squad erected a security perimeter on Sherbrooke St. between Bercy and Montgomery St.

Despite a daycare being within the potential line of fire, police decided not to evacuate.

“The place where they are, it was safe for them to be confined inside at different strategic places,” said Delorme. Parents quickly arrived out of concern.

“It was just my ‘dad duty’ to show up and see what's going on, but I'm not worried at all. I expect it to end real soon,” said parent Felix Seguin.

Police evacuated the surrounding apartments one by one, bringing tenants to safety. By 1 p.m., the SWAT team managed to storm the apartment.

“There are two suspects, we're talking two white males in their 40s, which have been arrested in an apartment of the targeted building,” said Delorme at the scene.

At least one suspect had to be taken out on a stretcher to a waiting ambulance. 

Police wouldn't say how he was injured or if they found any weapons on him. 

A second suspect was taken out in handcuffs. 

One tenant said the drug trade is very active in the building.

The two suspects are now expected to be arraigned in court. One is described as well-known to police.

-- with a file from La Presse Canadienne