Quebecers can now report their rapid test results; critic says new system missed an opportunity
About a month after reaching its official COVID-19 testing capacity, on Tuesday the Quebec government launched its long-awaited platform meant to help capture all the unofficial tests now being done at home.
The website allows Quebecers to submit the results of their rapid tests, whether negative or positive, in order to give authorities a better overall picture of how the virus is circulating in the province.
But one Montrealer who came up with a citizen-run version much sooner says there are some basic ingredients lacking from the governmental version, including some verifications that the tests submitted are real.
"They do not validate the lot number or the test used," wrote Olivier Drouin on Twitter.
Drouin, who began the site COVID Ecoles Quebec in August 2020 to track school cases, created his own rapid test self-submission site earlier this month, and designed it differently.
He told CTV he hoped for even more from the government's site, since it could have built in the ability to check the validity of test results -- not only for the sake of the data's credibility, but for citizens' needs to have their illnesses verified for various reasons.
"People have had issues proving they had, or have, COVID to their employers, [and] to insurance companies for disability claims," he pointed out.
Drouin's site collects no personal information, unlike the official platform, but it does ask people to prove they used a legitimate rapid test, and gives them the option of declaring what school they're associated with, if any.
So far, Drouin's system has garnered 843 positive test result reports, which he is publishing on a live map.
Quebec's health minister said the official platform will be very useful to the government and encouraged people to use it.
“With such a tool now available to the public, it will be easier for our public health teams to assess the progression of the virus within the community," said Minister Christian Dubé in a statement Tuesday.
"We will therefore be able to have a more realistic overall picture, which will help public health to adjust health measures according to the real epidemiological situation."
The province didn't immediately say if, when or how the results will be made public.
This kind of platform has been needed for the past month, since PCR tests done at clinics and processed by labs became out of reach for most Quebecers, the province acknowledged.
Since jan. 5, these have been limited to a small subgroup of essential workers, including health-care workers and now teachers. For weeks, the province has included a disclaimer with its official case counts that these numbers are no longer accurate.
"In a context where tests in screening centers are now reserved for certain very specific priority groups and where the number of known cases is therefore underestimated, such a tool will help to better assess the positivity rate of the population," the province wrote Tuesday in a release.
Drouin's citizen-run crowdsourcing can't be used for these kinds of official purposes. However, in a side-by-side comparison on Twitter, he pointed out some things he felt were lacking from the province's effort.
For one thing, the province does take personal information -- which is standard for its health platforms, such as Clic-Santé. It said on Tuesday that the platform has been tested for cybersecurity.
It asks users to submit their name, birthdate and gender, as well as their health insurance numbers, if they have health cards.
They enter the results of their test and click a button attesting that they're telling the truth.
Drouin's page, meanwhile, doesn't ask for any personal identifying information, but does ask for the first three digits of the person's postal code. It also gives an option to submit a school name if one is associated with the person in question.
It also asks users to fill out several fields with details about the rapid test itself: its lot number, expiry date and fabrication code found on the box.
GOVERNMENT'S NEEDS AREN'T THE ONLY ONES TO CONSIDER: DROUIN
Drouin told CTV News he's disappointed with how much wasn't done on the official site, considering the government did have the option to do much more with this kind of tool.
It asks for no information about the test itself, he pointed out, other than whether it was positive or negative: no date the test was taken, no way to trace which test kit was used or whether it was real.
That adds up, he said, to "no official confirmation from government that you had COVID at a given date."
In reality, he said, the government should realize this is a pressing need for many regular people.
"All of the people testing with rapid tests are orphan cases that are not officially tracked or recognized," he said.
He predicted that if the province misses the opportunity to help in this area, there will be many more problems down the road, as a glut of people have trouble properly diagnosing their symptoms or getting compensation, he said.
"A few months from now, when people that were positive on rapid test [and] have no proof from government they were positive at a given date start developing long-COVID permanent symptoms, they will face issues," he said.
Late last month, after tests became out of reach, CTV News asked Quebec's worker's rights board (CNESST) what kind of proof was needed for workers to receive compensation if they were infected on the job and needed
"For compensation purposes... the CNESST accepts positive COVID-19 test results from the following two sources: from the [provincial] COVID-19 Screening Platform OR from a written confirmation from the Ministry of Health and of Social Services," said a spokesperson from the board.
In other words, if PCR test results were not provided as usual, workers would need to receive written proof from the health ministry. The CNESST directed further questions to the health ministry to learn more about those two options.
In an email, the health ministry said that for its own workers in the health and social system, a PCR test following a rapid test is necessary for proof.
"In the current context, it would be impossible for Public Health to confirm all the results of rapid tests," it wrote.
Have you had any problems at work after not being able to prove a positive infection with an at-home test? Tell us about your experience at MontrealDigitalNews@bellmedia.ca
Montreal Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Canada is sending an additional 20,000 rounds of ammunition to Ukraine for the Ukrainian military to use in its ongoing defence against the Russians. This ammunition—155mm calibre, as well as fuses and charge bags—is being donated, but comes at a cost of $98 million, according to the federal government.
Power outages caused by the powerful and deadly storm that swept across Ontario and Quebec on Saturday are stretching into another day, as hydro providers warned customers they could be waiting even longer for service to be fully restored.
An infectious disease expert believes monkeypox outbreaks can be contained by using a strategy called 'ring vaccination' – which means vaccinating all the close contacts of an infected person.
Health Canada says it is preparing for the possibility that a shortage of sunflower oil could further strain baby formula supplies in Canada.
Eleven people, eight of them women, were killed in simultaneous shooting attacks on two bars in north-central Mexico, authorities said Tuesday.
Russia's theft of Ukrainian grain appears to be ramping up as it continues its war on the country, according to new satellite photos of the Crimean port of Sevastopol.
A Hydro One spokesperson says the storm that ripped through Ontario over the long weekend has caused significant damage across the province, and it could still be days before some power outages are restored.
Actor Amber Heard rested her case Tuesday in the civil suit between her and ex-husband Johnny Depp without calling Depp to the stand.
Workers digging through the rubble of an apartment building in Mariupol found 200 bodies in the basement, Ukrainian authorities said Tuesday, as more horrors come to light in the ruined city that has seen some of the worst suffering of the 3-month-old war.
A power outage at Wonderland led to a scary situation after guests were trapped on rides for about 30 minutes during the severe Ontario storm this weekend.
CTVNewsToronto.ca has compiled a list of some of the major pledges made by the leaders of the province’s four major parties.
Three days after Uxbridge was hit by a powerful thunderstorm that reduced parts of the small Ontario town to rubble, Mayor Dave Barton says 'there's a lot of work to do.'
A report looking into a mapping program the RCMP had access to -- but couldn't open -- during the 2020 mass shooting in Nova Scotia concludes it could have helped contain the killer's rampage.
When students in Nova Scotia return to school on Tuesday after the Victoria Day long weekend, wearing masks will be optional.
A man wanted in connection with two robberies and an incident that prompted that lockdown of the Halifax Shopping Centre in March has been arrested.
BREAKING | London, Ont. Mayor Ed Holder to retire
London, ONt. Mayor Ed Holder will be retiring from politics at the end of the current term of council.
A London, Ont. family has been displaced after fire tore through their home on Monday evening.
Three years after he was last seen, London, Ont. police are renewing a call to find Tyler McMichael.
CTVNewsToronto.ca has compiled a list of some of the major pledges made by the leaders of the province’s four major parties.
The Mountjoy Farmers Market in Timmins has a permanent home thanks to a large property donation from local business owners Barry and Celine Petroski
A 36-year-old Kirkland Lake resident has been charged following an incident May 22 involving a golf cart driver who refused to stop for police.
The Calgary Flames need to figure out a way to at least begin to contain Connor McDavid. The same goes for Leon Draisaitl. Evander Kane, too.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has confirmed two more outbreaks of avian influenza in small flocks - one in southern British Columbia and the other in southeastern Alberta.
Staff with the Royal Canadian International Circus are raising the big top as the troop prepares to perform over a dozen shows at CrossIron Mills.
The woman killed at Pinehurst Lake Conservation Area during Saturday's storm has now been identified as Shelby Humble-Neale of Brantford.
The largest high school in Kitchener has been closed Tuesday due to a power outage, as the area continues to recover from Saturday's storm.
Chad Rue Waters, 48, has pleaded not guilty to first degree murder in the death of Ashley Pereira.
The sentencing of former Canadian Football League wide receiver Joshua Boden for the murder of a woman in 2009 has been rescheduled to June 16.
Two B.C. men have been ordered to pay thousands of dollars and were handed hunting bans in connection to the poaching of three moose.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will be in Metro Vancouver today where he is expected to discuss housing and food bank issues.
The federal government is providing $17.5 million for tourism projects in the province, including $10 million for Edmonton's K-Days fair.
As the Oilers prepare for Game 4 against the Calgary Flames, excitement is building for fans in the capital region.
A 23-year-old woman was arrested after two men were stabbed in a vehicle on Highway 21, said police.
Windsor police are asking for help in a shooting investigation after a large party on Oak Street.
A Windsor Catholic elementary school has been hit with vandalism.
The City of Windsor is letting drivers know about an upcoming off-ramp closure on E.C. Row Expressway.
COVID-19 viral levels in Regina’s wastewater levels have bounced back up again in the latest analysis from the University of Regina, following several weeks of a downward trend.
A new collective bargaining agreement between the Canadian Football League (CFL) and Canadian Football League Players Association (CFLPA) has been turned down by the players, according to a TSN report.
The Regina Public School Division (RPSD) said a ‘network-wide’ incident over the long weekend has forced them to take their IT systems offline while an investigation is conducted.
LIVE AT 4 P.M.
LIVE AT 4 P.M. | Ottawa officials to give update on storm cleanup
Tens of thousands of people across the Ottawa region are still without power Tuesday morning as hydro crews continue repair work following Saturday's massive storm.
Ottawa city council's meeting scheduled for Wednesday has been cancelled as cleanup from Saturday's storm continues.
The city of Ottawa is setting up disposal bins at locations across the city for residents to get rid of food spoiled because of the ongoing power outages.
A Saskatoon residential building was badly damaged by fire early Monday morning.
The man accused of first-degree murder after a shooting in the 100 block of Main Street East appeared in provincial court on Tuesday by phone.
CFL players have rejected the new collective bargaining agreement with the league.