Quebec restaurant dining rooms can reopen at half capacity on Monday
Quebec will allow small gatherings and restaurants can open at half capacity as of Monday as COVID-19 restrictions begin to ease.
Premier Francois Legault said Tuesday that the new loosening of measures still comes with some restrictions: a maximum of four people or two bubbles will be permitted to dine together, so long as they have proof of vaccination.
Bars and casinos are to remain closed for the moment.
Legault announced that extra-curricular sports will also be permitted (maximum 25 people), but only for those 18 years old and under.
The rule applies to practices only. No games are allowed.
"We are all aware that a lot of Quebecers are fed up, they're fed up with the restrictions," Legault said. "It's been 22 months. I understand that there are a lot of Quebecers for whom it's starting to affect their mental health."
Ski chalets are also allowed to open at half capacity.
In addition, there will be a maximum of two visitors allowed at the provinces' private long-term care homes (CHSLDs), so long as the people visit one at a time, and at public care homes, the maximum is four, but only two at a time.
On Feb. 7, venues, cinemas and arenas will be allowed to reopen at 50 per cent capacity with a maximum of 500 people.
Places of worship will also be permitted to reopen at half capacity with a 250-person maximum with a mandatory vaccine passport requirement.
Funeral homes can welcome as many as 50 people.
Gyms, spas and sports for adults will remain closed.
Legault spoke alongside Health Minister Christian Dube and acting director of public health Dr. Luc Boileau as he provided the update.
Dining rooms have been closed since the end of December in an effort to curb surging COVID-19 cases. It is expected that they will be allowed to open with limited capacity.
Some restaurant and bar owners have been considering reopening in protest at the end of the month, while police in Jonquiere, Que., in the Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean region, were called last week to a bakery that had reopened its dining room.
At least one Montreal-area restaurant owner is no longer willing to wait for the official green light.
Humza Chaudhry, co-owner of breakfast and lunch restaurant Baba & Zazu in the Mount Royal neighbourhood, said he reopened his dining room a few days ago and no longer worries about the consequences.
"Enough is enough. We're done with it," he said Tuesday in a phone interview. "Everything is open, if we don't open we'll go underwater."
Chaudhry says he's opening his dining room to full capacity. He said that even if an official reopening is coming, he needed time to train his kitchen and floor staff and prepare them both physically and mentally for a return to work.
"It's not like a switch that turns on and off," he said.
The response from customers, he said, has been positive. "They feel like they're getting out of prison."
Other business owners said Tuesday they're understanding of the public health needs, but they're exhausted of the struggle to keep their businesses afloat and going through the "yo-yo" cycle of opening and closing.
"I’m glad my extended Christmas vacation is over…I’m going to open on the eighth, I’m going to play Spider-Man, Matrix, all those movies people couldn’t see," said Vincent Guzzo, president of Cinemas Guzzo.
"Hopefully, we’re done. In other words, I don’t want to hear of another theatre closure ever again."
Jean-Jacques Beauchamp, the president of the Quebec bar association, said it's "a little disappointing" that bars aren't yet included but "our time will come, obviously… it’s a matter of days or weeks."
However, in total, being closed for 17 out of 22 months is no joke, he said, and what bar owners really need is not just to get the green light to reopen, but "to reopen and stay open for a long while."
Gym owners and others voiced similar feelings of burnout.
The announcement on Tuesday is a week to the day since schools reopened in the province as part of the government's deconfinement plan.
The province is still lacking 12,000 health-care workers and the health-care network in the province needs to be rebuilt, the premier said.
"Our health network needs, and an overhaul, and the overhaul must be built around people who work in the health network," said Legault.
Quebec's Health Ministry reported Tuesday that there are 3,278 COVID-19 patients in Quebec hospitals, including 263 in intensive care wards. A week ago, there were 3,417 patients, with 289 in ICUs.
-- with files from Morgan Lowrie of The Canadian Press.
Montreal Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Onlookers urged police officers to charge into the Texas elementary school where a gunman's rampage killed 19 children and two teachers, a witness said Wednesday, as investigators worked to track the massacre that lasted upwards of 40 minutes and ended when the 18-year-old shooter was killed by a Border Patrol team.
Families are sharing photos and stories of their loved ones, who lost their lives in a mass shooting in Texas that killed at least 19 children and two adults on Tuesday afternoon.
The Conservative Party of Canada leadership hopefuls debated face-to-face in French, in Laval, Que. on May 25. Recap CTV News reporters' real-time updates as the debate unfolded.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cancelled plans to appear in person at a Liberal fundraiser in British Columbia Tuesday after RCMP warned an aggressive protest outside the event could escalate if he arrived, said a source close to the decision. The source spoke to The Canadian Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the situation publicly.
Several parts of the country, including British Columbia and Canada's Maritime provinces, are likely to see wetter-than-normal conditions this summer, according to AccuWeather's annual summer forecast.
The Public Health Agency of Canada says it has now confirmed a total of 16 cases of monkeypox in the country, all in Quebec.
During an appearance on ABC's Good Morning America on Wednesday, adopted siblings Hannah Raleigh of Chicago and Limia Ravart of Montreal met in person for the first time after an ancestry test confirmed the two are in fact related.
A jury in Portland has convicted a self-published romance novelist - who once wrote an essay titled 'How to Murder Your Husband' - of fatally shooting her husband four years ago.
A news conference about the shooting at a Texas elementary school broke into shouting Wednesday as Democratic gubernatorial candidate Beto O'Rourke blamed Republican Gov. Greg Abbott for inaction ahead of the latest in a long string of mass shootings in the state.
Was your home damaged by the Ontario storm? Insurance companies say payouts could take weeks to process
The insurance industry says it could take up to six weeks to get an idea of how many hundreds of millions of dollars in pay outs will be required from the weekend storm that brought death and destruction to Ontario and Quebec, but that early estimates are substantial.
Police have released new video of a recent incident in which a vehicle was caught doing doughnuts and speeding along the shoulder of busy Ontario roadways.
People all across Ontario are getting creative when it comes to netting a secondary income, otherwise known as a “side hustle,” and many are turning to secondhand economies thriving on online platforms.
As the inquiry into Nova Scotia’s mass shooting moves its public proceedings to Truro, many of the family members affected by the tragedy and their lawyers are boycotting the proceedings over the next week.
Former Chief Anchor Steve Murphy offers a timely perspective on the Mass Casualty Commission and the difference 30 years after the Westray inquiry.
Speaking off-script at an event in Halifax Wednesday morning, Canada's Minister of Public Safety said he was gutted by the latest mass shooting south of the border - the 27th in a school this year alone.
Two men and one woman are facing charges Wednesday after police say their vehicle struck a London police cruiser and then the suspects fled the scene on foot over the weekend.
OPP and Southwest Middlesex fire are on the scene of a fatal collision Wednesday afternoon involving a tanker truck and a passenger vehicle.
Jeff Ducharme was in his home office when a young man in a truck pulled up, ran up to the front of his home in Norwich, Ont. and stole his pride flag in broad daylight.
There are currently a dozen statues at the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes property, and all are from the 1950s.
It’s a sign that summer is on the horizon. Farmers’ markets are opening in cities and towns across the north.
Health care appears to be one of the bigger issues for voters along the North Shore as they get set to cast ballots in Algoma-Manitoulin.
The City of Calgary has recruited three people from the commercial real-estate sector in an effort to get a new event centre to replace the aging Scotiabank Saddledome.
After a massacre at a Texas elementary school, some are looking into safety protections against gun violence in Calgary's school system while mental health experts are offering advice for difficult conversations about mass shootings.
Those who haven't received their bill by the first week of June are asked to contact 311.
New details are emerging about the tragic incident that killed 27-year-old Shelby Humble-Neale on Saturday.
Waterloo regional police say evidence of gunfire found in McLennan Park in Kitchener is connected to another shooting incident in the nearby area of Windflower Drive and Windflower Crescent.
Two 29-year-old men have been seriously injured following a collision in Baden, Ont., with one needing to be airlifted to a hospital outside the region.
The decision to focus on urgent and emergency health care to avert long waits played a key role in B.C.’s current primary care crisis, and the costlier care is compounding the problem.
A social media video that captures the moment a man gets Tasered by a Vancouver police officer is prompting calls for more training for police going out mental health calls.
A judge has refused to grant a B.C. cannabis company an injunction against a man who used a list of email addresses the company accidentally sent to all shareholders against it.
Even though they cheer for opposite teams, a proposal by a Flames fan at Game 4 of the Battle of Alberta received a resounding "yes" from the Oilers-loving bride to be.
The body of a missing canoer has been located in northeast Alberta.
Edmonton’s School Resource Officer Program has received a passing grade in a new report that was presented to Catholic School Trustees on Wednesday.
After a major tragedy, should parents wait for their children to express their feelings before talking about it?
Not having an answer to all of your child's questions about tragedies like the Texas school shooting is perfectly okay, according to a grief therapist with the Canadian Mental Health Association.
Helping students break down academic and social barriers, more Temi robots coming to St. Clair College
The Community Integration through Cooperative Education (CICE) program at St. Clair College received a $20,000 boost Wednesday morning.
Windsor police arrest final suspect sought in Forest Glade shooting, Major Crimes Unit continues investigation
Windsor police have arrested another suspect related to the shooting near a Forest Glade bowling alley in April.
'All it takes is one': Sask. RCMP partner with Washington police to publicize disappearance of Mekayla Bali
Saskatchewan RCMP and the Washington State Patrol announced a collaboration of efforts to locate Mekayla Bali, who was 16-years-old when she was last on April 12, 2016 in Yorkton.
A new art exhibit at the George Bothwell Library is hoping to examine and remove the feeling of shame associated with people who are deaf and hard of hearing.
For those looking to hop the border into Manitoba for their camping seasons, it started off on the wrong foot for Duck Mountain Provincial Park.
The president of Hydro Ottawa says "with a little bit of luck" power will be restored along the Merivale Road area on Thursday, bringing power to another 15,000 to 20,000 customers still in the dark following Saturday's storm.
The Ottawa Catholic School Board says all schools with power will be open on Thursday, but 14 schools without power will remain closed.
Out of the tragedy of Saturday’s storm, come stories of people helping each other.
The Prime Minister toured the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization, which is working to develop a COVID-19 vaccine.
Saskatoon Police Service says that the use and presence of potent new synthetic opioids known as nitazenes are difficult to track and monitor.
A 48-year-old semi-truck driver was killed in in a rollover near Meadow Lake on Tuesday.