Police believe missing father of girls found dead last week in Quebec is still alive, actively evading capture
SAINT-APOLLINAIRE, QUE. -- Police are asking for the public’s help with their search for the father of two girls whose bodies were found in a forest last week in Quebec.
The Surete du Quebec (SQ) says it found evidence on Wednesday night that Martin Carpentier visited an RV trailer located in the 50 sq. km area they’ve been scouring for a week near the town of Saint-Apollinaire, south of Quebec City.
Carpentier, 44, has been missing since July 8 when an Amber Alert was issued for him and his two children, Romy, 6, and Norah, 11. The girls' bodies were found on Saturday, but the search for Carpentier is still underway.
The SQ believes Carpentier may be visiting cabins and other secluded homes for necessities.
“We’re talking about an individual who is probably deprived of means and who is likely looking for materials to ensure his survival,” the SQ communications team said.
The force is asking everyone in the region – particularly, in Lotbinière MRC and the surrounding area – to check their cabins, camps, trailers and other such buildings for traces of break-ins, missing items, or things that may have moved, like clothing, food, and other necessities. Hunters who have hunting cameras are being asked to check their footage.
“Martin Carpentier doesn’t seem to be dangerous...," SQ Sgt. Ann Mathieu said during a press briefing on Thursday. "This person wants to hide himself and wants to assure his survival."
If residents don't feel comfortable checking their properties on their own, the SQ suggests asking a friend to go with them, or calling 911 to make an appointment with an officer who will accompany them instead.
Anyone with information on Carpentier is being asked to call 911.