As part of the changes to its animal control bylaw, Montreal is making it more expensive to own a pit bull.
Officials are also standardizing the cost to register an animal across the city, and increasing the fines for non-compliance.
The new fees are:
- $25 to register a sterilized dog
- $60 to register a non-spayed or neutered dog
- $10 to register a sterilized cat
- $30 to register a fertile cat
(fees will be reduced by $5 if the dog or cat is microchipped)
There are new fees for those owning pit bulls or other dogs deemed dangerous.
The city is also capping the number of dogs in a household at two, unless the owner applies for a special permit.
- $150 to register a pit bull
- $150 to register a dangerous dog
- $10 for a sign that the house contains a dangerous dog
- $50 to own a third dog
- $100 for a dog walker's licence