The two men killed in a weekend shootout in N.D.G. have been identified as 47-year-old Kirk Murray and 51-year-old Anthony Onesi.

Montreal Police rushed to the McDonald's located at the intersection of St. Jacques and Ste. Anne de Bellevue Sunday afternoon when 911 calls poured in.

They arrived to find the body of 47-year-old Kirk Murray lying in the parking lot.

Soon after they found 51-year-old Anthony Onesi in a car that was rolling down a snow-covered hill toward St. Jacques street.

Onesi was still alive when found and rushed to hospital, but died en route.

Shady Past

It turns out that Murray has a serious criminal record, and served a 15-year sentence for the second-degree murder of two men in 1983.

He was only 20 years old on May 25, 1983, when he had an argument with two men at the Verdun Yacht Club and killed Dennis Cormier and Douglas Brecknell with a shotgun.

Murray pleaded guilty to the crime, but during his sentence he escaped from prison and was recaptured.

After he finally got out, he moved to the South Shore, and struck up several friendships with people who knew he had a shady past, but did not necessarily know the full extent of his criminal history.

Innocent Victim

The family of the second victim, Anthony Onesi, cannot believe he has been killed.

Onesi, who has no criminal history used to be a trucker but recently lost his job. The father of six children was known to be extremely generous, especially when it came to giving people rides.

His family thinks Murray, who did not have a car, asked Onesi to drive him from Chateauguay to the McDonald's, where he was killed as an inconvenient witness.

"He was the most loving, generous kind man that you'll ever meet in any of your lives," said Chris Onesi, one of his six children.

His ex-wife had nothing but kind words.

"We know that his last words were probably, o my god, my children because his children meant so much to him. I'm sure he tried to run and come home to us. I know he's suffering up there because he couldn't be without his kids."

Hunt for a description

Police spent Sunday evening interviewing witnesses, keeping them inside the restaurant for hours.

"Our major crime unit is meeting with some that were in the restaurant to know what they saw and if it's pertinent to the case," said Constable Daniel Lacoursiere.

Authorities are also examining security camera video recorded at the McDonald's, the Petro Canada that shares the lot, and from other nearby stores.

"We're looking at the possibility of getting pictures from surveillance cameras all over the nearby stores," said Olivier Lapointe of the Montreal police department. "That's what we're trying to do because so far we're not able to get a good description of the suspect or the suspects. There were some people who told us about a man who was leaving, running away from the scene but we don't have a good description that we can send to the public to help us. "