DORVAL - Montreal homicide detectives are interviewing witnesses and possible suspects in connection with the death of 82-year-old Bobby Charalambous, whose death has been classified as a murder, following an incident which took place on December 16, 2012.

The coroner’s office conducted an investigation into the man’s death following an incident at the Maison Herron, at 2400 Herron. 

They gave their results to Montreal police last week, who have concluded that the death was the result of a homicide.

Charlambous had been transferred to the nursing home just two days before the incident. 

He had previously been receiving treatment at the Lakeshore Hospital, where he was diagnosed with dementia.

Charalambous suffered brain injuries after the event at the Maison Herron and died in hospital 12 days later. 

Police cannot reveal how Charalambous died, as it is part of the investigation, according to police representative Danny Richer.

However the victim's son Nicolas Charalambous has told CTV Montreal that he was initially informed that his father died from a fall.

He said that he was later told that his father's injuries were sustained in an altercation with another resident.

Charalambous said that since January his attempts to gather more information about his father's death have been stalled, as the Maison Herron, a private institution,  has declined to answer his questions.

"When the incident first happened, the person that spoke with my sister told her what happened, this gentleman hit my father. He fell down and continued hitting him and he bled from the head and other parts of his body and then they took him to the hospital," said the victim's son Nicolas.

The alleged perpetrator might have done the same thing other times, according to information he received.

"A letter that was sent to us, I believe the administrator from the Lakeshore Hospital, a similar incident from the same person had happened four days earlier with another woman," said Charalambous.

"We want to make sure that it doesn't happen again because no one should have to go through this."