'There are no cuts in daycares': family minister
Published Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:49PM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:21PM EST
QUEBEC CITY -- Quebec's family minister is denying reports that the provincial government is planning more cuts to the public daycare system.
A senior staff member within the ministry recently said that the province must cut an another $40 million from the daycare budget, in addition to the $31 million cut earlier this year.
Nicole Leger said the report of the budget cuts is incorrect, but that the family ministry is analyzing how daycares spend their money.
"There are no cuts in daycares. We have a working group on financing methods because there are some daycares that have a deficit and others do not," Leger said. "I think it's legitimate to question the methods of financing."
The province currently subsidizes 218,000 daycare spots where parents are charged $7 per day.
Earlier this year there were several reports that the provincial government was looking to index the cost of daycares to inflation, but in April Leger said the cost of daycares would not change during the PQ's current mandate.
When asked Wednesday if that policy was still in effect, Leger turned around and walked into a meeting.
Last week Nicolas Marceau, the province's finance minister, said the provincial government would have to cut $1 billion in spending over the next two years.