Runner's death casts shadow over 21st Montreal Marathon
Published Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:41AM EDT
MONTREAL - Tragedy struck the Montreal Marathon Sunday morning as a 30-year-old male participant collapsed during the race and died following the subsequent ambulance ride. Officials have not yet revealed further information.
The man fell to the ground at Rosemont and Pie IX, according to Urgences Sante spokesman Guy St-Pierre who said the man was likely killed by heart attack.
Many other racers were treated for various malaises, according to St-Pierre, who said it could be due to unseasonably humid weather.
A record number of participants busted over the starting line on the Jacques-Cartier Bridge at 8:30 a.m Sunday for the 21st Montreal Marathon.
Around 24,000 runners -- up from 20,600 last year -- embarked upon the 42 kilometre (26 mile) run which which end at Maisonneuve Park for the first time. The customary finish line at the Olympic Stadium was deemed too small this year.
Many participants, however, were participating in the half-marathon, or the 10-k, which were among the shorter options available for runners.
The race required many road closures around town, notably in Old Montreal and Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.
The race was won by Luka Kipkemoi Chelimo of Kenya who needed 2:13:44.5 to finish the marathon.
The time was 10 minutes off the world record, which was set the same Sunday in Berlin by fellow-Kenyan Patrick Makau, 26, who finished that race in 2:03:33, beating the previous record by 21 seconds.