Longueuil woman dies after lighting cigarette
The elderly woman died in the fire on Tisseur in Greenfield Park.
Published Friday, August 16, 2013 9:03AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, August 16, 2013 12:48PM EDT
A 76-year-old woman has died after starting a fire in her Longueuil home.
The fire began at 6 p.m. Thursday in a three-storey building on Tisseur St. in Greenfield Park, apparently when the woman had an accident while trying to light a cigarette.
Police believe the woman dropped either her lighter or her cigarette and set her clothes on fire.
When smoke alarms went off firefighters rushed to the building to extinguish the flames and the woman was taken to hospital with what were described as serious but non-life-threatening burns, however she died around 10:30 p.m.
Damage to the building was very minor.
The coroner is now investigating the case, as is Longueuil police.
The woman's identify is not being released until her relatives are notified.