Firebomber ordered to undergo psychiatric evaluation
Published Monday, July 9, 2012 1:34PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, July 9, 2012 7:03PM EDT
MONTREAL—A month after he was released from jail for the firebombing of a Jewish boys school in 2006, Omar Bulphred was re-arrested last week and ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation on Monday.
Showing no signs of rehabilitation, the 27-year-old man faced strict conditions after his release from a seven-year sentence on June 11.
Facing eight fresh charges, Bulphred is said to have already broken three of his conditions.
Appearing before superior court Judge Pierre Labelle, the man’s erratic behaviour was described in detail. He is said to have loitered outside of three properties and to have uttered death threats.
Correctional Service of Canada officers feared for their lives after Bulphred was released.
Ordered to undergo a 30-day evaluation, even the man’s lawyer was cryptic when describing Bulphred’s behaviour in prison.
“When he was inside, in jail, there were certain things he said, certain things he wrote to other people, that the police have as information and they are bringing back into his case,” said defence lawyer Luc Vaillancourt.
“Things which were written, which were said, we need to understand the circumstances under which they were written and said, that's why we need an evaluation at this time," said Vaillancourt.
The Crown Prosecutor said agreed that it is important to try to understand some background to the most recent events.
“We are to decide whether or not the accused when he committed the infraction knew what right or wrong was,” said Prosecutor Steeve Lariviere.
But those who might potentially have been targeted by any possible future attacks were just happy that police have been keeping an eye on Bulphred, who was not required to report to any parole agents due to having completed his entire sentence
“We just want to express our gratitude to the police for taking this matter very seriously, for following through on these restrictions imposed upon Bulphred and by watching and monitoring his behaviour,” said Rabbi Reuben Poupko of Montreal’s Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs.
In September 2006 Bulphred set fire to the Skver-Toldos Jewish Boys School in Outremont, the following April he attempted to bomb the Snowdon YM-YWHA.
Labelling his actions a “jihard,” Bulphred vowed to target Jewish and Canadian communities.
Bulphred will be back in court on August 13.