Loto-Quebec VP relieved of duties following corruption allegations
Published Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:29AM EDT
Allegations made at the Charbonneau Commission are having an impact at Loto-Quebec.
Pierre Bibeau has been temporarily relieved of his duties as vice-president for public affairs and corporate communications.
Last week Lino Zambito, the former head of Infrabec construction, told the Commission that Bibeau demanded $30,000 as a donation for the Liberal party of Quebec. At the time Bibeau was dating then-education minister Line Beauchamp.
Zambito said the pair met in Bibeau's office, and that he handed the executive an envelope stuffed with cash.
Bibeau has denied any such meeting ever took place.
The President and CEO of Loto-Quebec, Gerald Bibeau, said that the VP is presumed innocent, but that allegations of such a nature can have a deleterious effect on Loto-Quebec and its image.
Pierre Bibeau will be assigned to other duties, including reviewing internal communications for the Crown corporation.
Marcel Croux will replace Bibeau on an interim basis.
With files from The Canadian Press