Accused election night shooter refuses to take part in psych exam
Published Monday, December 17, 2012 11:54AM EST
Last Updated Monday, December 17, 2012 12:41PM EST
The man accused of killing one person, injuring another, and trying to burn down the building where Pauline Marois was giving a victory speech has refused to take part in a psychiatric competency test.
Richard Henry Bain was ordered into the custody of the Pinel Institute on Dec. 7 to determine if he is mentally competent enough to understand court proceedings.
However the psychiatrist who attempted to evaluate Bain addressed the shooting suspect in French, and as soon as that happened Bain refused to co-operate.
In court on Monday, Dec. 17, the judge sent Bain back to the Pinel Institute for a second try at a mental health evaluation, and expects to see those results on January 11, 2013.
"We're trying to make arrangements so that he will be seen by an English-speaking doctor in the next few days," said Crown Prosecutor Eliane Perreault.
During the brief hearing Bain complained to the judge about the assault he mentioned in court in October.
On Oct. 11, 2012, Bain was bleeding from a gash on his head when he was brought into court, a wound he said at the time had been inflicted by a guard.
The crown prosecutor said the case had been investigated and determined that the injury was accidental. Bain disputed that, but the judge said this court was not the place for that case.
As he was led out of court Monday, Bain yelled "God bless you all and Happy Holidays!"
Even if found fit to stand trail, Bain will likely have to undergo another assessment to determine if he was sane the night of Sept. 4, 2012.
Bain faces 16 charges including first-degree murder, three counts of attempted murder and arson after he allegedly attacked the Metropolis theatre.